“FORTIFIED is a better way to build, re-roof, or retrofit your home to protect against severe weather. It is a voluntary construction and re-roofing program designed to strengthen homes and commercial buildings against specific types of severe weather such as high winds, hail, hurricanes and even tornadoes. The program provides:
- Free access to construction standards, which are based on more than 20 years of scientific research and real-world testing by the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS).
- A network of contractors trained to provide the right upgrades to protect your home from the type of severe weather events it faces each year.
- Third-party verification that the upgraded construction materials and installation methods used on your home meet the standards required for a FORTIFIED designation certificate.”
There are two FORTIFIED programs, both with specific requirements beyond what’s required by most building codes, that provide protection from storms as strong as a Category 3 hurricane or an EF-2 tornado.
- FORTIFIED Home for homeowners
- FORTIFIED Commercial for commercial property owners
FORTIFIED Home offers three ways to strengthen and protect your new or existing home.
- FORTIFIED ROOF- This is for roofing or re-roofing. Focuses on strengthening the roof to help keep it attached to your home during high winds and keep water out if roof covering (such as shingles or tiles) get blown off in a storm.
- FORTIFIED SILVER- This is best for existing homes. Builds on the requirements of FORTIFIED Roof to also help protect vulnerable areas such as windows and doors as well as attached structures such as carports.
- FORTIFIED GOLD- This is best for new homes. Builds on requirements of FORTIFIED Roof and FORTIFIED Silver to provide the best protection available against severe weather.
It doesn’t take a hurricane or tornado to cause major damage to your home. In fact, storm winds as low as 50 mph can damage your roof and allow water to enter your home. To protect against this type of damage, make sure that the home you are purchasing has a FORTIFIED designation certificate. The upgraded construction materials and installation methods used on the home will better protect your home and everything inside.